Soft Gluten-Free White Sandwich Bread

 



It's finally finished!!!  After FIVE years I finally developed and perfected my own gluten-free bread recipe using my own personal flour blend!  This bread recipe is a labor of love not only for myself but for all of you who are gluten-free and struggling to make bread that actually tastes good, is not dry or gritty and bakes and smells like REAL BREAD.  That's because it IS real bread.  

In developing this recipe I wanted one that could be made from my flour blend.  Why? Because my flour blend has simple, easy to find ingredients and doesn't include ingredients like modified fillers or other items that are hard to find.  Once I got my flour blend the way I wanted it, I started baking!  I baked all kinds of yummy delicious desserts and treats, but bread was sooo hard!  I just couldn't get the right mix of ingredients or a good balance of wet and dry ingredients.  So, I redeveloped my flour blend, made some changes to my rough draft bread recipe and viola!  I made bread!  And it worked!

Do I need any special equipment to make this?

I used to make this recipe by hand, but now I use my Cuisinart Precision Master stand mixer to make this bread and I think that is key to success in gluten-free baking.  A stand mixer is so much more powerful than a hand mixer or mixing by hand. I find that the ingredients get better blended and more incorporated with a stand mixer. But if you don't have a stand mixer and make this recipe with a hand mixer or by hand, I can't guarantee your results.


Want to get this item NOW and be able to make just four payments using your debit card?  Choose Afterpay at checkout, its free to signup!  Use my referral code: Denise2279 and you'll get $10 off your next purchase of $50 or more! It's the easiest way to shop now and pay later without a credit card!  



Can I use a different flour blend to make this bread?

You can do anything you want in your kitchen 😉.  I have only tested this recipe with my flour blend, so if you use another blend, your results may not be the same.


What are the ingredients?

Dried milk powder-add protein which helps provide structure to the bread.
Salt-adds flavor.
Sugar-adds flavor to the bread and helps the yeast proof.
Active dry yeast-leavening (rising) agent and aids in structure.
Large egg whites-moisture and binding.
Whipped butter-moisture, flavor.
Apple cider vinegar-adds flavor and helps the bread to darken while baking.
Water-moisture and allows the yeast to rise.

Can I use regular milk instead of powdered milk?

Yes.  Replace the water with regular warm milk when proofing the yeast and omit the powdered milk from the dry ingredients.  I use non-fat milk when I make this.  You can use 2% or whole milk if you'd like, but keep in mind it will change the fat content of the bread.


Can I make this in a bread machine?

As of this writing, I have not tested this bread in a bread machine.  If you try in a bread machine let me know if it works for you!


How do I make this bread?

1. In a small bowl add the warm water and stir in the yeast and sugar.  Set aside in a warm place until the yeast has proofed and is VERY foamy on top.  In your stand mixer bowl combine the flour blend, salt, powdered milk and whisk to combine.

2. Once the yeast has proofed, add it and the egg whites, margarine or butter, and apple cider vinegar to the dry ingredients.  Begin mixing using your paddle attachment.  After it has mixed for a minute or so, stop the mixer and scrape down the sides and bottom to make sure there is no dry flour and everything gets thoroughly blended.  Turn the mixer back on and continue mixing for SEVEN minutes.  This is important as it ensures that everything is smooth and well combined.  While the batter is mixing, line an 8.5”x4.5” bread loaf pan with parchment paper.

3. When the seven minutes is up, turn off the mixture. Immediately pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan.  Spread it evenly into the pan. Using a spatula dipped in water smooth and shape the top of the batter dipping the spatula in water as needed. 

4. Cover the pan with plastic wrap and set the pan in a warm spot to rise for 30-45 minutes. Remove the plastic wrap just before the bread rises enough to touch it.  Continue letting it rise until it rises about ½ and inch above the pan.  During the last ten minutes of rising preheat your oven to 375℉.  Bake the bread for 40 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 200-205℉.

5. When the bread is done remove it from the pan and remove the parchment paper.  Place the bread on a wire rack and spray lightly with cooking spray or brush with butter.  Cover with a paper towel and a soft dish towel and allow to cool completely before slicing.






How do I store this bread?


Store the bread in an air-tight container for up to seven days. I absolutely love my bread box from Progressive Prepworks Bread ProKeeper.  It is the perfect size for a loaf of bread.  It expands to accommodate larger loaves and comes with a mini cutting board.  It also has a humidity gadget on the back that allows you to control the air flow in and out of of the box.  This helps the bread stay fresher longer.












Denise's Perfect Gluten-Free Sandwich Bread

Soft and fluffy white bread perfect for sandwiches.


Prep Time: 55 mins

Cook Time: 30-45 mins

Total Time: 1 hr. 40 mins

Makes: 10 to 12 servings


INGREDIENTS


  • 346 grams Denise’s Perfect Gluten-Free Flour

  • ½ cup dried milk powder

  • 1 tsp. salt

  • 2 tbsps. sugar

  • 2 ¼ tsp. active dry yeast

  • 3 large egg whites, at room temperature

  • 2 tbsps. margarine or butter, at room temperature

  • 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar

  • 1 cup plus 3 tbsps. warm water, about 100℉


INSTRUCTIONS


  1. In a small bowl add the warm water and stir in the yeast and sugar.  Set aside in a warm place until the yeast has proofed and is VERY foamy on top.  In your stand mixer bowl combine the flour blend, salt, powdered milk and whisk to combine.

  2. Once the yeast has proofed, add it and the egg whites, margarine or butter, and apple cider vinegar to the dry ingredients.  Begin mixing using your paddle attachment.  After it has mixed for a minute or so, stop the mixer and scrape down the sides and bottom to make sure there is no dry flour and everything gets thoroughly blended.  Turn the mixer back on and continue mixing for SEVEN minutes.  This is important as it ensures that everything is smooth and well combined.  While the batter is mixing, line an 8.5”x4.5” bread loaf pan with parchment paper.

  3. When the seven minutes is up, turn off the mixture. Immediately pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan.  Spread it evenly into the pan. Using a spatula dipped in water smooth and shape the top of the batter dipping the spatula in water as needed. 

  4. Cover the pan with plastic wrap and set the pan in a warm spot to rise for 30-45 minutes. Remove the plastic wrap just before the bread rises enough to touch it.  Continue letting it rise until it rises about ½ and inch above the pan.  During the last ten minutes of rising preheat your oven to 375℉.  Bake the bread for 40 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 200-205℉.

  5. When the bread is done remove it from the pan and remove the parchment paper.  Place the bread on a wire rack and spray lightly with cooking spray or brush with butter.  Cover with a paper towel and a soft dish towel and allow to cool completely before slicing.


NOTES --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------








Did you make this recipe?  
Tag me @wherefoodandfamilymeet on Instagram!
Did you find this blog post helpful?  Share it with your network!






No comments:

Post a Comment