Easy Gluten Free Cup For Cup All Purpose Flour Blend





Why I created this recipe

Several years ago, in the early years of my illness, my doctor suggested I try a gluten free diet to see if my digestive symptoms could be better controlled.  While I didn't see a ton of improvement, I stayed gluten free for three years.  I tried ALL KINDS of prepackaged and homemade gluten free flour blends.  NONE of them ever worked for me.  They were either too dry, too gritty, too nasty tasting, not enough flavor or just plain gross. While I found a few blends that were better than others, most of them just didn't give me the results I would see others get in their recipes.  
Once again I found my self in the kitchen experimenting with flour blends.  It is REALLY IMPORTANT to have a good flour blend that is mix up in the right proportions if you want your baked goods to turn out right.  It doesn't matter how well you measure your flour or how much liquid you add or leave out of a recipe, if your flour blend isn't in the right proportions to begin with, your recipes are doomed before you ever start baking.

What makes this flour different from other brands out there?

I experimented with all kinds of different individual flours and ratio combinations and each time would get different results, some better than others.  But when I finally got the flour ratios right, the results were incredible!  This flour has such a close resemblance to regular white flour that I have to keep it in a clearly labeled container or I can't tell the difference between the two.  And the results in the recipes I created to use this flour for all turned out amazing as well.


Do I need any special equipment to make this recipe?

Yes.  First and foremost, you need a DIGITAL SCALE.  I can not stress this enough!  I started out using a manual analog scale and I was constantly guessing or approximating a measurement.  When a recipe calls for 250 grams of flour, that is what it means.  Not 248 grams or 253 grams.  I know that doesn't sound like a big deal, but it is.  With gluten-free flour, even just a little bit over or under the correct measurements can make a difference in your final out come.  It is also very important to weigh all your individual flours that you are using to make your gluten-free flour, not just the final blend.  


Want to get this item NOW and be able to make just four payments using your debit card?  Choose Afterpay at checkout, its free to signup!  Use my referral code: Denise2279 and you'll get $10 off your next purchase of $50 or more! It's the easiest way to shop now and pay later without a credit card!  



What flours should I use to make this recipe?

Not all gluten-free flour blends or individual flours are created equal.  You will may get different results from different brands of flours or flour blends.  For this recipe I use a blend of brown rice flour, potato starch and tapioca starch.  My preference is Anthony's flours, but I have used others such as Bob's Redmill with good results.

What are the ingredients?

Brown rice flour-this is the main base of the flour blend.
Potato starch-provides bulk and helps give the flour blend the similarity in appearance to white flour.
Tapioca or Cassava starch-is known for giving certain foods a "stretchiness".
Xanthan Gum-is used as a binder for the flour blend.  It is the component that helps hold baked goods together.

Is this flour a cup for cup blend?

Once all of the flours have been mixed together, yes, it can be used cup for cup.  But the actual amounts of each flour I weigh in grams and that gives me the best results in the final product.

How do I measure this flour blend for my recipes?

You can do that two ways.  The first is using a digital scale to weigh out the portion of flour you will be using.  The second ways is the cup for cup method that you are most familiar with.  Use a spoon to gently layer the flour in your measuring cup until it's full.  Then use a butter knife to even off the top and remove any excess.  DO NOT use the measuring cup to scoop the flour out of the container and be careful to not pack the flour into measuring cup when spooning it in the cup.  Those will result in too much flour blend being used and will alter the outcome of your final recipe results.

How do I make this flour blend? 

1. First, put your small bowl on the scale and make sure to zero it out so that the starting weight is zero on the scale.  Now you are ready to start measuring your individual flours.  After measuring each individual flour, pour it into your large mixing bowl and put the small bowl back on the scale.  Make sure the scale still says zero.

2. Weigh out brown rice flour, pour into large mixing bowl.  Weigh out potato starch (flour), pour into large mixing bowl.  Weigh out Tapioca starch (flour), pour into large mixing bowl.  To the large bowl of flours, add 3 teaspoons of xanthan gum.  Using a wire whisk combine all the flours and the xanthan gum THOROUGHLY.  This is important to make sure you get this well blended.

Can I double, triple, or quadruple the recipe to make a larger batch?

Absolutely!  As a matter of fact I have taken all the guess work out for you and created this printable chart that shows you exactly how much you need to make 6, 12, 18 and 24 cups.






How do I use this flour?

If you don't know how to use it yet, don't worry.  I've got some gluten-free recipes on the website already and I'm always creating new ones.  You can also find the links at the bottom of this post.  

How do I store this recipe?

For best results store this in an air tight container.  The size will depend on how much flour you are making.  I prefer to make a big batch at one time and I store mine in a 15 quart Sterilite Clear Latch Box with blue handles.

Easy Gluten-Free Cup For Cup All Purpose Flour Blend

Perfect for all your gluten-free baking needs.


Prep Time: 5 mins

Cook Time: 0 mins

Total Time: 5 mins

Makes: 4 to 6 servings


INGREDIENTS


462 grams brown rice flour

192 grams potato starch

110 grams tapioca starch

3 tsp. xanthan gum


INSTRUCTIONS


  1. Measure all ingredients individually using a digital scale. 

  2. Place all ingredients into a large bowl. 

  3. Using a wire whisk combine all the flours and the xanthan gum THOROUGHLY.  This is important to make sure you get this well blended. 

  4. Store at room temperature in an air-tight container.  Makes six cups.


NOTES --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
















Did you make this recipe?  
Tag me @wherefoodandfamilymeet on Instagram!
Did you find this blog post helpful?  Share it with your network!




No comments:

Post a Comment